Harmonization of RTI (Fee & Cost) Rules and Appeal Procedure Rules under Right to Information Act, 2005.
North Block, New Delhi
Dated 10th July, 2015
1) Chief Secretaries of all States/UTs (except J&K).
2) The Registrars of all High Courts.
3) The Registrar of Supreme Court.
Subject: Harmonization of RTI (Fee & Cost) Rules and Appeal Procedure Rules under Right to Information Act, 2005.
The Government of India had notified a set of RTI Rules, 2012 dated 31.7.2012 in supersession of Central Information Commission (Appeal procedure) Rules, 2005 and the Right to Information (Regulation of Fee and Cost) Rules, 2005. While drafting the RTI Rules, 2012, it was stipulated that once notified, the State Governments would be requested to adopt these rules mutatis mutandis, so that there might be uniformity, as far as possible, in the matter of implementation of the Act throughout the country.
2. Attention is also invited to this Department’s letter of even number dated 26.4.2011 titled harmonization of fee payable under the Right to Information Act requesting thereby to review the State/Supreme Court/High Court RTI Fee & Cost Rules and to prescribe fee in consonance with the fee prescribed by the Government of India as per Right to Information (Regulation of Fee and Cost) Rules, 2005, so that the fee should not become a disincentive for using the Right to Information. It has been observed that few States have not yet harmonized their fee rules with that of the Central Government.
3. All the States/Competent Authorities are, therefore requested to kindly review their Right to Information (Fee & Cost Rules) and Appeal Procedure Rules and to notify, if need be, fresh rules in consonance with the those notified by the Government of India. A copy of RTI Rules, 2012 is enclosed.