Government of India
Ministry of Railways
New Delhi, dated 22.07.2010
All Indian Railways & Production Units
(As per mailing list)
- Subject: Railway Services (Revised Pay) Rules, 2008 – Revision of option exercised under Rule 6 of Railway Services (Revised Pay) Rules, 2008.
In accordance with the provisions contained in Rule 11 of the Railway Services (Revised Pay) Rules, 2008, where a Railway servant opts to continue to draw his pay in the existing scale from the 1st day of January 2006 and switch over to the revised scale from a date later than the 1st day of January, 2006, his pay from the later date in the revised scale is required to be fixed under Rule 11(i) of the Railway Services (Revised Pay) Rules, 2008. As per Rule 5 of these Rules, this option to switch over to the revised pay structure from a date later than 1.1 2006 is available to a Railway Servant
- (i) who elects to continue to draw pay in the existing scale until the date on which he earns his next or any subsequent increment in the existing scale or until he vacates his post or ceases to draw pay in that scale.
- (ii) who has been placed in a higher pay scale between 1.1.2006 and the date of notification of these Rules on account of promotion, upgradation of pay scale etc, the Railway servant may elect to switch over to the revised pay structure from the date of such promotion, upgradation etc.
2. As per Rule 6(1) of Railway Services (Revised Pay) Rules, 2008 the option in the format appended to the Second Schedule was required to be exercised within three months from the date of issue of these Rules,
3. Further Rule 6(4) provided that the option once exercised shall be final. The Staff Side has represented on this issue and have requested that the first option exercised may not be treated as final keeping in view the new system of pay band and grade pays and those employees may be allowed to revise their option if the option is more beneficial to them.
4.On further consideration and in exercise of the powers available under Railway Services (Revised Pay) Rules, 2008, the President is pleased to decide that in relaxation of stipulation under Rule 6(4) of these Rules employees may be permitted to revise their initial option upto 31 12.2010 if the option is more beneficial to them. The revised option shall be intimated to the Head of his Office by the Railway servant in accordance with the provision of Rule 6(2) of the Revised Pay Rules, 2008.
5. This issues with the concurrence of the Finance Directorate of the Ministry of Railways
Director, Pay Commission IIz