PCDA pension circular 350-Improvement in the pension of Personnel Below Officer Rank (PBOR)
Circular No. 350
Office of the PCDA (P)
The Treasury Officer
The Post Master Kathua (J&K), Camp Bell Bay
(Andman & Nicobar)
The Defence Pension Disbursing Officer
Pay and Accounts Officer
Military and Air Attache, Indian Embassy, Kathmandu, Nepal
The Chief Accountant, RBI, Deptt. of Govt., Bank Accounts, Mumbai-400051
All Link Branches of PSBs.
Subject: – Improvement in the pension of Personnel Below Officer Rank (PBOR).
2. The above Govt. orders provide for improvement in Pension Structure of PBOR by way of increase in weightage in the ranks of Sepoy, Naik and Hav (equivalent ranks in Navy and AF) from existing 5 years to 10, 08 and 6 years respectively subject to maximum qualifying service of 30 years for past and future retirees. However, in case a person is already getting more than 30 years qualifying service with the existing weightage of 5 years, he would continue getting that and there will be no enhancement of weightage in his case.
3. Further, the pension of Pre-96 PBOR retirees in all ranks and groups is to be calculated with reference to the maximum of the Pay Scales introduced w.e.f. 01.01.1996. However, the revised pension on account of the above improvements is to be paid w.e.f. 01.01.2006 and no arrears will be payable prior to 01.01.2006.
4. The time schedule for completion of the pension revision work is 30.9.2006, which may please be adhered to.
5.1 These orders apply to the PBOR pensioners who were/are in receipt of the following types of pension as on 01.01.2006-
Ordinary Pension/Mustering Out Pension to Pre 01.06.1953 retirees.
Service Element of disability pension
Service Element of War Injury Pension
Note : – The orders contained in this Ministry’s above mentioned letter dated 1.2.2006 will also apply to non combatants (enrolled) (NC’s (E)) drawing pension as on 1.1.2006 under the Pension Regulations of the three services as well as pension rules of erstwhile state forces and various orders issued from time to time.
The provisions of these orders do not apply to commissioned officers and their families and also the family pensioners of PBOR. These orders also do not apply to UK/HKSRA, KCIOs, PAK/Burma pensioners.
5.3.1 In other words, these orders apply only to PBOR pensioners of the three services in receipt of types of pensions mentioned in Para 5.1 above.
5.3.2 Invalid pension/service element of disability pension in respect of PBOR retries having less than 15 years qualifying service would also need to be revised in terms of these orders. Specific tables for the purpose have not been prepared. PDAs will refer such cases to PSAs concerned as per specimen letter given in Annexure – A .
5.3.3 Similarly revision of all war injury pension cases irrespective of their qualifying service will also be required to be done by the PSAs concerned. Such cases will also be forwarded by the PDAs to the PSAs concerned in the enclosed Annexure- A
5.4 The benefits of enhanced weightage will not apply to TA personnel. However, their cases for revision of pension with reference to maximum of pay scales as on 1.1.1996, will be referred to the office of the PCDA (P) Allahabad (in Annexure-A) for determining and notifying the revised pension.
6.1 Accordingly, revised Tables of pension in respect of PBOR pensioners with reference to rank, group and qualifying service have been prepared to enable the Pension Disbursing Authorities to revise the pension. These pension tables are given in the enclosed Appendix ‘A’ to MOD letter dt.2.5.2006.
6.2 Tables indicating revised Pension for each rank and group of PBOR with increased weightage and for various lengths of qualifying service have been prepared for Army, Navy and Air Force for the following categories of pensioners-
Pre-96 PBOR pensioners
Post-96 and Pre-10.10.1997 PBOR pensioners
Post 10.10.1997 PBOR pensioners
6.3 Issue of tables no. 6, 18 and 24 pertaining to pre 1996 and post 1996 Havildars granted Honorary rank of Naib Subedar is being presently held back and shown as blank as the matter regarding removal of certain anomalies is being resolved by the Ministry and the same will be notified and circulated on its finalisation.
6.4 To enable the PDAs to understand the pension tables, the methodology for preparation of these tables together with a few model calculations for revision of pension have been prepared and are given in the enclosed Annexure ‘C’.
Revision of Pension with reference to Pension Tables
Matching of Existing Pension
7.1 PDAs are required to revise the pension of their own as per these tables after matching Existing Pension as shown in relevant columns of the tables without calling or waiting for any applications from the affected pensioners. Existing Pension as on 01.01.1996 in respect of Pre-96 pensioners is the same as shown in RCP Column of Tables to MOD letter No 1(2)/98/D (Pen/Sers) dated 14.07.1998. There may be instances where Existing Pension in these cases may not match because of either of the following reasons: –
PDAs may not have revised pension w.e.f. 01.01.1996 correctly as per ibid-MOD letter dated 14.07.1998. In such cases, correct amount of RCP may be ascertained as per MOD letter dated 14.07.1998.
Pension may have been sanctioned as per special orders of the Govt.
7.2 Existing Pension of Post – 1.1.1996 & Pre – 10.10.1997 pensioners and Post 10.10.1997 pensioners will be the one as notified in the original Pension Payment Orders issued by PSAs. For this, PDAs have to carefully see the relevant PPOs of the pensioners for matching the pension notified in PPOs with the EP shown in the Pension Tables.
7.3 Since the Govt. has merged the amount of 50% DR as DP with basic pension with effect from 1.4.2004, the pension with DP merger has been indicated under a separate column in respect of each rank, group and qualifying service. Thus, Existing Pension as on 01.04.2004 has been arrived at after adding benefit of 50% merger of DP as on 01.04.2004. The PDAs may, therefore, ensure that pension, as on 1.4.2004 is the one with DP merger failing which the Existing Pension will not match with amount of pension if it is without DP merger.
7.4 It may be noted that prior to 1.4.2004, the benefit of DP merger with basic pension is not available to such pre 1.4.2004 re-employed pensioners as were not in receipt of dearness relief on their pension. While revising pension in such cases the revised pension shown as without DP merger in relevant column of Tables may be duly taken into account.
7.5 Cases where the Existing Pension shown in the relevant columns of these pension tables does not match, the PDAs should not revise the pension but refer such cases with complete details to the PSAs concerned immediately for further authorization by the PSAs as per specimen letter prescribed in Annexure ’A’.
PENSIONERS IN RECEIPT OF TWO PENSIONS
8. In case of pensioners who are in receipt of more than one service pension these should be revised as per the relevant tables.
9.1 No arrears on account of revision of pension will be admissible for the period prior to 01.01.2006.
9.2 No commutation will be admissible for the additional amount of pension accruing as a result of this revision. The amount of pension commuted, if any, would continue to be deducted from the revised pension while making monthly disbursements.
9.3 Increase in weightage to PBOR will not affect the amount of Retirement Gratuity already determined and paid with reference to rules in force at the time of discharge of the PBOR.
9.4 Any overpayment of pension coming to the notice or under process of recovery shall be adjusted in full by the Pension Disbursing Authorities against arrears becoming due on revision of pension on the basis of these Government orders.
9.5 The following elements will continue to be paid as separate elements in addition to the pension revised under these orders. Payment on account of these elements will not be taken into account for purpose of revision as well as for applying minimum limit of Rs. 1275/- p.m. or Rs. 1913/- p.m. as the case may be.
a) Monetary allowance attached to Gallantry Awards such as Param Vir Chakra, Ashok Chakra etc.
b) Constant Attendance Allowance (CAA) where admissible to disability pensioners.
c) Disability Element, if any, as sanctioned from time to time.
As usual, Dearness Relief is also not payable on these elements except for the element mentioned at (c) above.
9.6 Adhoc Ex-gratia sanctioned to Pre – 01.01.73 pensioners being paid w.e.f. 01.09.84 will not now be payable in addition w.e.f. 01.01.2006 since all the pre-1973 pensioners have been brought at par with Post-96 pensioners.
PAYMENT OF LIFE TIME ARREARS (LTA)
10.1 In cases where the pensioner was alive on 1.1.2006 and died/dies subsequently before receiving payment, his legal heir/heirs is/are entitled to the LTA with effect form 01.01.2006 till death of the pensioner. In such cases, payment will be made to legal heir.
Payment of LTA will be regulated as per Para 2(x) of the GOI, MOD letter No. 14(3)/2004 –D (pen/Sers) Vol-V dated 2.5.2006.
Where the revised pension w.e.f. 01.01.2006 is not beneficial; it will not be revised to disadvantage of the pensioner.
10.4 A suitable entry regarding revised pension should be made by the PDAs in Check Register / Payment Register/Pension payment Scroll/Register/Pension Book/Certificate.
11. As has been mentioned above, the pension under these Govt. orders is required to be revised by the PDAs themselves without calling for any application from the pensioners concerned. The work of revising the pension in all affected cases is required to be completed by the PDAs by 30.9.2006 positively as per the target date set by the Ministry which needs to be strictly adhered to by the PDAs. The Govt. has also desired that all the Public sector Banks/ICICI Bank Ltd, HDFC Bank Ltd, UTI Bank Ltd and IDBI Bank Ltd, disbursing pension would render a monthly progress report as per the proforma (Annexure-B) prescribed under Ministry’s above quoted letter dated 2.5.2006 to the office of the PCDA (P) Allahabad. All PDAs are therefore, enjoined upon to ensure rendition of the said report. It is also enjoined upon them that all the columns in proforma prescribed by Ministry must be filled in complete and correct manner before its rendition to the office of the PCDA (P) Allahabad by name to Shri D.C.Hansda, ACDA (P). It is also requested that one more copy of the requisite proforma be invariably sent separately along with the pension payment scrolls.
12. The DPDOs will render the monthly progress report to the office of the PCDA (P) Allahabad as well as to their respective CsDA i.e. CDA (PD)/CDA Chennai as the case may be.
13. Points of doubt, if any, relating to revision of pension under the subject Govt. order may immediately be referred to the concerned PSAs, by name as under:
Army – Shri. R.K.Saroj , ACDA (P) O/o PCDA (P) Allahabad-14
Air Force – Shri Dinesh Singh, Jt.CDA (AF) O/o CDA (AF) New Delhi-66
Navy – Shri R. Venkat, Jt.CDA , O/o PCDA(Navy), Mumbai
Please acknowledge receipt.
R K Saroj