Implementation of Common Biometric Attendance System.
KENDRIYA VIDYALAYA SANGATHAN (HQ)
18, Institutional Area, S.J. Marg,
Tel.: 26858570 Fax 265 14179
F. No. 11090-50/2015-KVS (S&S)
The Deputy Commissioner / Director
Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan,
All Regional Offices / All ZIETs
Subject: Implementation of Common Biometric Attendance System.
As a part of the “Digital India” program of Government of India, it has been decided to implement common Biometric Attendance System (BAS) which will enable an employee to register attendance by simply presenting his / her biometric (finger print/ Iris) which will be authenticated online by doing one to one match with the bio-metric stored in the UIDAI data base against the employee’s Aadhaar number. This Aadhaar Enabled Biometric Attendance System needs only Aadhaar number, basic demographic details and a photograph of the user at the time of user registration which can be done by employee himself / herself by simple web based system. The biometric details are already available with the UIDAI which are then used for authentication.
2. To overcome the challenges in the present attendance systems, Common Biometric Attendance System is envisaged with following fearures:
2.1 Cloud-based attendance software installed and operated from NIC National Data Centre.
(Further details can be noted from para 2 of “On-boarding Manual for Biometric Attendance System” which is available on the ‘attendance.gov.in’ web site)
2.2 Dedicated secure connectivity will be provided between National Data Centre & UIDAI Data Centre by NIC for authentication.
2.3 All Ministries / Departments / subordinate organisations can access the system using the NIC network provided in the Bhawans.
2.4 Offices using the system will install biometric enabled terminals / devices to mark the attendance; the number and location of required devices will be assessed by the offices; the offices concerned will be responsible for day-to-day maintenance of the devices.
2.5 Connectivity of the devices /terminals will be established through Wi-Fi / GPRS.
2.6 Customised reporting formats for various levels of employees will be developed by UIDAI / NIC.
2.7 Facility for centralized compilation and publication of attendance data in public domain will be provided as per requirements.
3. This setup costs extremely less and management information system does not require any resources or manual intervention. To facilitate the implementation and thereafter operate the Biometric Attendance System (BAS), it is desired to nominate a Nodal Officer (NO) for acting as a Single Point of Contract (SPoC) for driving the Bio-metric attendance initiative. The Deputy Commissioner will be the Nodal Officer in case of Regional Offices, The Director will be the Nodal Officer in case of ZIETs and Principal shall be the Nodal Officer in case of Kendriya Vidyalaya concerned. The Nodal Officer shall be responsible for:-
3.1 Monitoring and co-coordinating with the stakeholders for smooth functioning of the Biometric Attendance System
3.2 providing update facility for bio-metric updating in case of poor bio-metric capture during enrolment process and in cases where there are failure in detecting the fingerprints by organizing Aadhaar camps.
3.3 Organising special Aadhaar Enrolment Camps (AECs), if considerable numbers of employees are not able to register on the portal due to non-availability of Aadhaar numbers.
3.4 Aadhaar number generation for the enrolments done in the AECs.
3.5 e-Aadhaar access.
3.6 Best Finger Detection and other Aadhaar related issues.
3.7 The Nodal Officers concerned are required to register the Unit online (once) on the portal for using attendance.gov.in by giving number of employees and their existing website name. Once the registration of the KVS unit (i.e. Regional Office / ZIET / KV, as the case may be) is complete, the name of Unit concerned will be listed in the portal for enrolment of the employees and generation of various types of reports pertaining to that Unit.
(For further details and steps for on-boarding the unit in the attendance portal can be found in Appendix ‘B’ of para 5.2 of On-boarding Manual for Biometric Attendance System.)
3.8 Subsequent step after registration of Unit concerned is, registration of employees. The employees of the Unit concerned are required to do online registration on attendance.gov.in portal for enabling them to mark attendance. The employees need to fill an online form using the link ‘Employees Registration’ on the attendance portal. After the quality check by the UIDAI / Nodal Officer the employee becomes active in the attendance portal and can mark its attendance through the devices installed.
(The details required for on boarding of employees in the attendance portal can be found in Appendix ‘C’ of para 5.3 to 5.6 of ‘On-boarding Manual for Biometric Attendance System’.)
4. In the first phase of implementation, approximately 150 Central Government Organisations have on boarded about 50,000 employees on common attendance portal (attendance.gov.in). 1000 wall mounted bio-metric attendance terminals, 5000 finger prints scanning devices and 200 IRIS devices have been procured through an open tender process floated by NICSI for 100 Government Bhawans / buildings.
In the second phase of the program, the Gol has proposed that Central Government organisations shall use the common biometric attendance portal, which is hosted at NIC data center and shall procure / maintain biometric attendance terminals and desktop fingerprint scanning devices / IRIS devices in a decentralized manner, through open tenders, DGS&D rate contract & NICSI empaneled vendors. The Central Government Organisations shall procure the required Wi-Fi Access point for enabling network connectivity in the biometric attendance terminals through DGS&D rate contract.
(Further details for the plan of action can be noted from para 4, 5.7 of On-boarding Manual for Biometric Attendance System.)
5. It is estimated that for every 50 employees, one wall mounted bio-metric attendance terminal would be required and one finger print scanning device on a desktop would be sufficient for a unit (i.e. RO/ZIET/KV). Therefore, the total requirement of wall mounted biometric terminals as well as desktop devices could be estimated based on the total number of employees. However, depending upon the justified ground – based circumstances, the additional number of such devices can be procured for the smooth implementation of the BAS. The device(s) [i.e. wall mounted bio-metric attendance terminals, desktop finger print and iris scanning devices] can be procured through following methods:-
5.1 NICSI – devices are readily available for procurement through the empaneled venders.
5.2 OPEN TENDERS devices can also be procured through open tenders but device specification should adhered to as appended in Appendix ‘D’ of the On-boarding Manual for Biometric Attendance System.
5.3 DGS&D – rate contracts are being finalized,. However, present status may be inquired at your level and document(s) in this regard be kept in your office record before taking further action.
(The indicative specifications of the devices required for the Installation of the BAS can be found in Appendix ‘D’ of the On-boarding Manual for Biometric Attendance System.)
6. The bio-metric attendance terminals would require Wi-Fi connectivity through the internet / NICNET for communicating with the back-end attendance servers, which are installed at NIC data centers. Therefore, there is need to procure connectivity (GPRS / Wi-Fi using NICNET / Broadband / Internet) from suitable service providers. For proper functioning of the Biometric attendance terminals, minimum 1mbps of bandwidth connectivity is advised.
The format placed at Appendix ‘E’ of the On-boarding Manual for Biometric Attendance System for capturing the connectivity requirements may be used.
7. The site for installation of the wall mounted biometric terminals under 24 hours security shall be vigilantly & intelligently identified by the Nodal Officer ensuring the following:-
7.1 220 V/5A Electrical points with suitable security.
7.2 Protection from environmental conditions like rain, sun etc.
7.3 LAN point for connecting Wi-Fi access devices.
7.4 Good data connectivity through GPRS / 3G as a backup connectivity.
Appendix ‘F’ of the On-boarding Manual for Biometric Attendance System for site requirements may be referred to.
8. The Nodal Officer shall take up the installation, commissioning and maintenance of the Biometric attendance terminals with the help of vendors who are empaneled with DGS&D, UIDAI, NIC and DeitY who shall extend all technical support for integrated back-end infrastructure.
9. The Nodal Officer of the respective Unit (i.e. Regional Offices, ZIETs and Kendriya Vidyalayas) shall be responsible for maintenance of the devices installed in his / her unit. The agencies will also be responsible for taking suitable on-site warranty support for smooth functioning of BAS.
For any suspicion, you may visit the ‘On-boarding Manual for Organisations to install Aadhaar-enabled Biometric Attendance System’ which is readily available on the KVS web-portal and also the FAQs available on ‘http://attendance.gov.in/faq/public faq’.
10. The Nodal Officers in case of KVS, Regional Offices and ZIETs shall ensure to complete the process of procurement of devices as per requirement & norms and make the Biometric Attendance System functional by 07.07.2015.
11. The Deputy Commissioner of respective Regions will further ensure that the Biometric Attendance System is put on fully functional in each of the Kendriya Vidyalaya of his / her Region.
12. It is also intimated that M/s MGRM Net Ltd have been recently awarded the work of MIS/ERP of all KVs through NICSI by KVS. M/s MGRM Net Ltd will be providing one Bio-metric terminal with no additional cost to each school while implementing MIS/ERP (KV Shaala Darpan) in all Kendriya Vidyalayas. One Biometric Terminal seems to be sufficient for 50 to register attendance. So, a KV up to the strength of 50 employee, need not spend on hardware (Biometric device)
Also Read - Expected DA from January 2017
Also Read : Draft minutes of Allowance Committee – DOP&T Specific allowances
The compliance report may be sent of this office. Suggestions, if any, to improve the system are solicited.