Interaction of Officer with School Students
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
Department of Personnel & Training
North Block, New Delhi
Dated: 10th December, 2014
Sub: Interaction of Officer with School Students.
It has been decided to launch an initiative to encourage senior government officers to interact with students by volunteering to visit schools and share their perspectives with the students.
The draft guidelines are attached. Suggestions are invited about its framework and also its title. Officers would be encouraged to become part of this programme to be run in collaboration with the Department of School Education & Literacy. Separate guidelines would be issued once feed-back is received. Suggestions may be sent to the undersigned at E-mail ID [email protected] by 31st December, 2014 after which the scheme is proposed to be launched on 1st January, 2015.
Joint Secretary to be Government of India
All Ministries/Departments of Government of India
Subject: Interaction of Officers with School Students.
1. Encouraging senior government officers to interact with students which would lead to nation building.
2. Strengthening the moral fabric of the nation by instituting a sense of pride in nation building.
3. Sensitizing the senior officers about the mindset and aspirations of the students.
4. The Prime Minister in his address to the students on 5th September, 2014 had suggested that there are many doctors, engineers and officials/civil servants who wish to volunteer to teach and interact with students in a school. They can select a school in their neighbourhood and visit it to share their learnings/experience.
Framework of modalities:
5. Title:- “SAMPARK”/”RASHTRA NIRMAN”/”GARV” –“Interaction of officers with School Students”. Officers would be encouraged to become part of this programme by volunteering to visit schools and share their perspective with the students. Special emphasis can be laid on officers who have done a foreign posting/ training/ exposure.
6. Coverage:- Senior Secondary Schools with students from class 8 onwards may be covered in the first phase in schools located in National Capital Region of Delhi.
7. Schools to be visited:- The Department of School Education and Literacy would make available the list of Kendriya Vidyalayas and Navo Vidayalayas which are under its administrative control. The list of schools from States would need to be obtained from the concerned State Government/ Directorates of Education.
8. Time of visit:- The interaction may be scheduled for one hour preferably between
7 AM to 9 AM in the morning on Tuesdays and Thursdays in a week.
9. Contents / subject areat:- The indicative areas could be Ethics, Nation Building, Environment Protection, Development, Good Governance issues etc.
10. Presentations could be made in the form of film clips, videos, story telling, quiz, holding activities etc. in a one hour slot as time available for interaction. The talk can be of 20 minutes duration followed by interaction with students. Under no circumstances the talk should be more than 25 minutes.
11. It would be ensured that the topics covered are nationalist, secular and apolitical. Critique of Government would not be encouraged.
12. Directorate of Education may issue guidelines with respect to instructions for schools on the conduct of the interaction including hospitality expenses. The name of the nodal officers as a contact person to be indicated along with telephone no., e-mail and address etc.
13. Role of the Department of School Education and Literacy:- Once it is decided to operationalize the system the Department of School Education & Literacy may write to commissioner, Kendriya Vidalayas and Navodaya Vidayalayas. The officer volunteering to interact could contact the concerned authority and select a school to deliver the lecture. Sample Lesson Plans can be drawn up.
14. The Department of School Education and Literacy will create a web link on the Ministry’s website where officers who wish to make a presentation can indicate their topic, choice of state, choice of school after which necessary arrangements could be made by the Department of School Education and Literacy. Necessary arrangements would be then made by Department of School Education & Literacy. In case an officer wishes to make a presentation to the schools within the administrative control of the State Government, the concerned Education Secretary of the State may be contacted.
15. The Department of Personnel and Training will create a web link with database of officers of government on its website. Any officer who has made a presentation in a particular school can indicate the details of her lecture/ presentation in the centralized data base.
16. Outcome:- Outcome would be in the form of a feed back. A workshop would be conducted where a Committee constituted with the representatives of Ministry of HRD, DOPT and Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances may share ideas which would be put on the website.
17. Department of School Education and Literacy and DOPT would collaborate in running this programme.