Government of India / Bharat Sarkar
Ministry of Railways / Rail Mantralaya
PC-VI No. 284
New Delhi, dated 14.02.2012.
The General Managers,
All Indian Railways etc.
(As per standard mailing list)
Sub:- Travelling allowance rules – Journey on Transfer/Retirement.
In terms of Board’s letter No.E(W)2004 PS 5-9/1 dated 01.08.2011, personal effects up to the specified weight limits and/or conveyance up to the prescribed scale/rates as prescribed under Board’s letter No. E(W)2004 PS 5-9/1 dated 17.06.2009 were permitted to be transported by road on reimbursement basis in lieu of Kit Pass to the place of posting on transfer/place of settlement after retirement. The reimbursement on account of transportation of personal effects/conveyance was to be regulated as prescribed in Board’s letter of even number dated 1.9.2011.
2. In terms of para II of the said letter, if transportation of personal effects is made by road between places connected by rail, reimbursement of actual expenditure by road limited to presumptive railway freight would be admissible.
3. However, doubts have been raised by one of the railways regarding methodology to be followed in calculating presumptive railway freight. The matter has been examined in Board’s office and it has been decided that rates per km for transport by road as prescribed in Board’s letter No. F(E)I/2008/AL-28/15 dated 29.12.2010 would be applicable to transportation of personal effects made by road between places connected by rail also. Therefore, there would no longer be any distinction in rates of transportation of personal effects by road between places connected by rail or not connected by rail.
4. Accordingly, in partial modification of Board’s letter of even number dated 1.9.2011, para II of the said letter may be modified to read as under:
"II. Transportation of Personal effects on Transfer/settlement after retirement:
|(i) If the transportation of personal effects is made by rail||Rates prescribed in terms of Board’s letter number F(E)I/2008/AL28/15 dated 29.12.2010 and revised vide Board’s letter No.F(E)I/2011/AL-28/18 dated 13.06.2011 would be applicable for transportation of personal effects by Road from the place of residence to the Railway Station at the old headquarters and from Railway Station to the place of residence at the new headquarters.|
|(ii) If the transportation of personal effects is made by road||Reimbursement of actual expenditure by road limited to rates prescribed in terms of Board’s letter number F(E I/2008/AL28/15 dated 29.12.2010 and revised vide Board’s letter No.F(E)I/2011/AL-28/18 dated 13.06.2011|
5. All other provisions given in Board’s letter dated. 1.9.2011 shall continue to be applicable.
6. These orders shall take effect from 3rd June, 2011 i.e. date of effect of Board’s letter No. E(W)/2004/PS 5-9/1 dated 1.8.2011.
7. Hindi version will follow.
8. Please acknowledge receipt.
Dy. Director Finance (Estt)